The Medical Research Council (MRC) Unit, The Gambia, The Gambia is the Medical Research Council’s largest establishment conducting laboratory, field based and clinical research in a developing country. To reflect changes in national and global health priorities and new international funding opportunities a new research portfolio has been organized under three themes: Child Survival: Disease Control & Elimination: Vaccinology. These themes have been selected to target national health needs, to reinforce sub-regional and international links and to address some of the major current priorities in the Millennium Global Health Goals.
We are looking for a Manager for the Molecular Diagnostics Services/Platform who will be responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the Molecular Diagnostics (MDX) Laboratories and supervision of staff. S/He will be responsible for strengthening core platform capabilities to support research through conducting existing assays to a unified standard, developing standardized protocols, training members of the laboratory and developing new tools and methods in molecular analysis to meet the needs of Research Projects. The post- holder may dedicate up to 20% of work time to independent research in an area of interest in molecular biology towards strengthening the Unit’s research agenda.
JobTitle: Manager Molecular Diagnostic Services
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry or other Biomedical Sciences from an accredited University with significant experience in Molecular biology research.
- A minimum of 3 years experience of active work in a research laboratory environment.
- Experience managing a team of at least three staff.
- Demonstrated experience in current Molecular diagnostic technologies including variations of nucleic acid extraction, amplification and detection techniques.
- Demonstrated knowledge and training in GCLP implementation and accreditation to quality standards.
- Evidence of previous publications in the area of molecular biology techniques and genotyping.
- Experience in setting up basic bioinformatics pipelines and use of softwares for sequence and fragment analysis, primer and probe design, gene annotation and genetic mapping.
- Computer literate (e.g., Microsoft Office applications)
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Good organisational and staff management skills (note: with the ability to co-supervise staff with other managers).
- Experience of working with people from different disciplines and cultures.
- Knowledge of Next Generation technologies and experience managing large diagnostic or genetic data sets, including whole genome sequencing and RNAseq.
- Knowledge of a bioinformatic scripting language applicable to molecular data management and analysis including but not limited to Perl and R.
- Training in quality management systems and processes in research and/or research laboratory environments.
- Working knowledge of another international language especially French or Portuguese
- Good budgetary and cost management skills.
- Keenness to train and impart knowledge.
- The post will be for 2 years, extendable by mutual agreement.
- The post will be in Grade 2 at a minimum gross salary of 63,750 Dalasis per month excluding the displacement allowance. The net salary (after tax) will be 52,032 Dalasis per month. For displaced staff the package will include additional allowances, furnished accommodation, annual flights to the base country and contribution to school fees for children.
- An attractive salary will be paid commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Mode of Application
If you are interested and have the skills and abilities for this position please contact the Human Resources Office for an application form and a copy of the job description and person specification for the post. Completed application forms together with photocopies of qualifications should be returned to:
Human Resources Office
Vacancy for: Manager Molecular Diagnostic Services/Platform
MRC Unit, Fajara
P.O. Box 273
Telephone: 4495442–6 & 4494072-9
For further information about MRC Gambia visit www.mrc.gm
- MRC is an equal opportunities employer and operates a strict no smoking policy.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Application Deadline: Thursday, October 31, 2013