ActionAid is a Non-Governmental organisation working with the poor and excluded; promoting values and commitment in civil society, institutions and governments with the aim of achieving structural changes in order to eradicate injustices and poverty in the world. Registered with the Nigeria Corporate Affairs Commission as a national organisation, ActionAid Nigeria is also an affiliate of ActionAid International with its international headquarters in Johannesburg South Africa.
ActionAid commenced operations in Nigeria in 1999, while the programmatic operations commenced in January 2000 through a Country Agreement signed with the National Planning Commission of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
ActionAid Nigeria as part of efforts at achieving sets objectives has in place a Communications Desk which is responsible for implementing AAN’s Communication Strategy; plan and carry out public affairs, community relations and publicity in order to influence and inform AAN’s Stakeholders, Staff, Partners and Donors in the organisation&’s thematic areas.
ActionAid Nigeria is seeking the services of a Communications Consultant for a non-renewable fixed period of four months. The person so recruited is to perform functions listed in the Job Description listed below:
Job Position: Communications Consultant
Job Location: Any City, NG
Duration: Four (4) months non-renewable contract
Reporting to: Policy, Advocacy, Campaigns & Communications Manager
The following are expectations from the Communications Consultant:
1.) Oversee printing of pending ActionAid’s publications, support advocacy and campaigns communications activities, and other documentation works
- The consultant shall meet with the Policy, Advocacy and Campaigns Manager upon the award of contract to have better grasp of expectation of AAN from the contract
- The Consultant will be responsible for editorial works on all materials provided. S/he will ensure clarity of structure and internal consistency, both analytical and stylistic. S/he will also ensure general readability and accessibility to a broad readership irrespective of literacy level in English language.
- The Consultant will provide relevant technical support to the Local Rights Programme (LRP), especially in documentation, skill enhancement, media relations and the social media.
- The Consultant in consultation with the Policy, Advocacy and Campaigns Manager will identify relevant resource persons with relevant skills and qualifications to carry out the tasks in (b) above and other tasks that may be identified.
2.) Oversee technical editing and copy-editing of reports and other publications for readability and consistency
- The Consultant will oversee the technical editing and copy-editing of materials before they are printed i.e. appropriate use of boxes, graphics and tables; sequencing, consistency, especially between text and tables and figures and integration of text and boxes; ensure that statistical data used and referenced in the text are consistent with the data in the respective tables, figures, charts and maps, as well as with the indicator tables flow and clarity of argument, content errors, style and punctuation, spelling and grammar.
- The Consultant shall be responsible for the sourcing of competent graphic designer to develop templates for AAN publication.
- The Consultant shall be responsible for the proof-reading or procurement of competent proof reader (s) for all materials after the layout/graphic works of the document(s) must have been concluded.
- The Consultant will oversee the graphic design of the final document and ensure this is consistent with the ActionAid branding as given by the international communications team and as modified by the country programme.
3.) Support development of advocacy and campaigns materials
- The Consultant will provide relevant support to Policy, Advocacy and Campaigns Manager in the unit’s liaisons with programmes and projects in the development of relevant policy, advocacy and campaigns materials.
- The Consultant shall examine all campaigns and advocacy materials for articulation of AAN positions, appropriate use of language, compliance with AAI branding and use of graphic words before they go to press.
- Shall from time to time examine the need for relevant communications intervention and introduction of new strategy and make recommendation for such.
4.) Lead in the organisation’s web activities
- The Consultant will manage the organisation’s website and make recommendations on changes as appropriate.
- The Consultant will take the lead on the organisation’s use of ICT and social forums.
- The Consultant will handle the organisation’s e-newsletter.
5.) Capturing and projection of success stories.
- The Consultant will work with the programmes and projects staffs to ensure regular capture of success stories and stories of change.
- The Consultant will support and provide appropriate guides to the the LRP partners to capture stories of change.
- The consultant will be responsible for ensuring appropriate use of such stories of change and success stories in all available outlet within and without ActionAid International.
- The Consultant will be responsible for the syndication of such stories in the mass media.
Qualifications and Experience
- Education: Bachelors Degree, Masters Degree desirable
- At least five years of relevant experience as a communications specialist working in the development sector.
- Proven experience in editing and writing
- Experience in development works
- High competence in web management
- Verifiable evidence of activeness on social networks i.e. facebook, twitter, personal blog etc
- Experience in publication requirements
- Experience in working with statistical data and statistical indicators, and familiarity with the logic and structure of complex statistical tables and concepts.
Mode of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their Curriculum Vitae as PDF or MSWord attachments to: email@example.com
Application Deadline: 29th September, 2013.