Current Job Vacancy at Federal Ministry of Health for Consultant: National M and E Plan Development in Nigeria 2014
Federal Ministry of Health – The National Malaria Elimination Programme (NMEP) of the FMoH, in collaboration with its development partners has concentrated its efforts on scaling-up key antimalarial interventions. NMEP has received funding from the World Bank, the Global Fund (GF) to implement the R8 Malaria Control Project aimed at contributing to the achievement of the national targets on prevention, diagnosis and treatment; and other partners like PMI/USAID and DFID.
These unprecedented resources enabled the Programme to fight malaria for the five-year period of the current Strategic Plan for Malaria Control in the country (2009-2013). The major interventions include: i) change in treatment policy from chloroquine to ACT (since May 2005), ii) universal coverage of all populations with LLINs during 2009-2013, distributing over 64 million LLINs to cover 37 States (at ratio of 2 LLINs per household) to date. Such investments and scale-up of interventions call for measurement of impact rigorously, and timely and gathering of epidemiological data for new funding requests especially under the New Funding Mechanism (NFM) of the GF.
The new National Strategic Plan for Malaria Control in Nigeria (NMSP), 2014 – 2020, has outlined massive scaling up of interventions for impact (SUFI). Owing to such massive deployment of effective interventions, it is expected that the epidemiologic profile of malaria in the country will change. In view of this, there is need for a National MandE plan that will provide robust guide for monitoring and evaluation of the strategic plan, and to encourage implementers to focus on intended programme results. It will also serve as a tool for early identification of gaps and potential implementation bottlenecks as well as provide a basis for adjustments and reprogramming for improved outcomes.
NMEP therefore seeks to recruit very qualified and competent consultants for rapid impact assessment and epi-analysis for the Global Fund new funding mechanism, and National MandE plan development.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Consultant: National MandE Plan Development
Job Location: Abuja
Specific Tasks for the Consultant/Technical Assistant:
The Technical Support Consultant/Assistant should support the NMEP to:
- Conduct desk review: Review the Malaria Strategic Plan 2014-2020 and work plans of NMEP to ascertain the targets, goals, objectives, activities and indicators.
- Review all available reports/documents on NMEP MandE system including that of the SWOT analysis of the MandE system using the GF MandE system-strengthening tool, the National MandE framework for malaria control, Plan to Strengthen the National Malaria Reporting System etc.
- Develop the National MandE plan for the NMSP 2014-2020. This should include the MandE matrix. The development process should be as consultative and inclusive of all relevant stakeholders to ensure ownership and buy-in.
- Develop an MandE work plan: Based on the above matrix and strategies, develop a detailed MandE work plan specifying the activities, means of verification, defining responsibilities, the time frame, and budget to operationalize the MandE plan work plan.
- Build consensus on the MandE plan within the RBM partnership and elicit buyins/commitments of all implementers (partners, donors, other relevant programmes and stakeholders) to the MandE Plan as part of the principle of the three ‘ones’.
- Finalized National Malaria Programme MandE Plan by 28th February 2014.
- A costed Annual Operational Plan for MandE by 28th February 2014.
- A report of the process by 28th February 2014.
Qualifications and Experience
- Post-graduate qualification in Public Health or Epidemiology or Health Policy
- Development or Health Management and Planning
- At least 7 years cognate working experience in MandE of malaria programmes or health systems.
- Requisite international experience in development of Country MandE Plans with a good knowledge of the Nigerian health systems and specific monitoring and evaluation skills.
- Successful participation in Malaria Programme Review and Malaria Strategic Plan Development will be an advantage
- Team player and able to work under pressure.
- In carrying out the assignment, the consultant is expected to consult with and work closely with the MandE branch and the other key Branches of NMEP with strong reference from the NMSP 2014-2020.
- The consultant shall operate under the general supervision of the National Coordinator, National Malaria Elimination Programme through the Head, MandE branch.
Remuneration and Terms of Payment
To be determined.
Mode of Application:
Interested and qualified candidates should submit the following to the address indicated below:
A detailed CV that shows evidence of relevant qualifications.
Letter of motivation.
The above should be submitted in an envelope with the position being applied for clearly written on the right upper part of the envelope and submitted by courier to the office of:
The National Coordinator,
National Malaria Elimination Programme,
1st Floor, Abia House,
Central Business District,
To: firstname.lastname@example.org with the position applied for as the subject of the e-mail.
Note: Any individual who will not be available to commence work by the first week of February 2014 need not apply.
Application Deadline: 20th January, 2014.