The Medical Research Council (MRC) Unit, The Gambia, is the Medical Research Council’s largest establishment conducting laboratory, field based and clinical research in a developing country. To reflect changes in national and global health priorities and new international funding opportunities a new research portfolio has been organized under three themes: Child Survival: Disease Control & Elimination: Vaccinology. These themes have been selected to target national health needs, to reinforce sub-regional and international links and to address some of the major current priorities in the Millennium Global Health Goals.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the post of a Higher Scientific Officer for our Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory. The post-holder will be responsible for the implementation of Molecular Diagnostic laboratory activities and operations towards compliance with ISO15189 quality standards. S/He will work with Manager of the Molecular Diagnostics services, the Quality manager, Senior Scientists and other key staff to provide training, technical troubleshooting and assay development towards quality assured Molecular Diagnostics and Genetic testing procedures for research and clinical trials. S/He will also conduct routine diagnostic assays and oversee the work of laboratory technicians, trainees and visiting scientists towards meeting goals and objectives of projects using the Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory.
Title Job: HSO Molecular Diagnostics Laboratory
We seek someone with:
- MSc degree in a relevant field of Biological Sciences.
- BSc (Hons) Degree in Biomedical Science or relevant area of Biological Sciences at 1st or 2nd Division.
- Minimum of 3 years experience conducting molecular diagnostics work post-qualification.
- Practical experience applying new state-of-the art molecular techniques supported by sound theoretical knowledge of molecular biology.
- Good communication skills and written and spoken English
- High standard of computer literacy including Bioinformatics.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly disciplined manner in a laboratory
- Good analytical and diagnostics skills.
- Knowledge of ISO 15189 standards.
- Strong people management skills.
- Ability to maintain high standards of work.
- Ability to work co-operatively in team.
- Experience working in a laboratory that routinely conducts molecular diagnostics in support of clinical trials or patient management.
- Ability to manage large and complex data.
- Good communication and written skills with people at all levels within the organisation.
- The post will be in Grade 3 at a minimum gross salary of 38,850 Dalasis per month excluding the displacement allowance. The net salary (after tax) will be 32,112 Dalasis per month.
- For displaced staff the package will include additional allowances, furnished accommodation, annual flights to the base country and contribution to school fees for children.
The appointment is to 31st March 2015 in the first instance and is subject to a probationary period of six months.
Mode of Application
If you are interested and have the skills and abilities for this position please contact the Human Resources Office (email@example.com) for an application form and a copy of the job description and person specification.
Completed application forms together with a detailed CV and a covering letter should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Medical Research Council is an Equal Opportunities Employer and operates a strict no smoking policy.
Application Deadline: Thursday, October 31, 2013